Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Quotes rock my world

So I was doing this English assignment, which involves making a poster/collage type thing by finding quotes and pictures from a website about the September 11 terrorist attacks (real year 12 work!). It's actually a little enjoyable, which is a nice change, because it involves being a little creative, which is nice. As I was scouring the website, looking through mediocre stories about how someone remembers waking up to the beautiful weather (seriously 9 out of 10 start with this) and turning on the TV to see horrible events taking place on the other end of the screen.. I came across a one written by a rescue worker who shared the memorable images he saw that day and in the days following. One of these images struck me,
"One day someone found a heart lying on a piece of metal. Somebody's heart... all by itself"

Wow! I find this to be such a powerful image. Something that should be comparable to the photo of the falling man. It not only encompasses the sheer horror of the day but it is the juxtaposition of something so fragile as a heart sitting on a piece of metal, designed to be incredibly strong. And then you could go on to say that this represents the human spirit prevailing of the disaster.. or something like that. I love how little things in life just happen, how does someone's heart manage to get there on its own?! Blows my mind. Blows my mind that an image created by chance, someone's heart randomly finding its way onto a piece of metal, could create such a powerful image that represents such an horrific event so perfectly........

If you want to you can check out the rest of the story here, it's quite interesting! http://911digitalarchive.org/smithsonian/details/6845

And also I'd like to make a shoutout to my mega awesome photographically nice friend Rachel who's blog is right here http://rachiesaycheese.wordpress.com/ and you should go check it out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment